A lingering dark
12 May · Sally
“What we call landscape is a stretch of earth overlaid with memory, thought and expectation… Landscape is what we allow in the doors of perception”
– Scott Russell Sanders (Earth Works: Selected Essays)
In A lingering dark, Christchurch artist Clare Logan draws on the memories and lingering perceptions of the mountainous landscape of the South Island. Through densely poured and painted surfaces she evokes an ambiguity of time and place, filtered through the personal and collective memory of passing through a unique environment on the unstable periphery of our urban lives.
Beyond the secure fence-line of suburban and agricultural sprawl, the mountain environment, both in New Zealand and in Asian and Pacific cultures, serves as a vehicle for the imagination. These are sites of cultural significance, informed by mythology, historical narratives and the personal experience of wild, rugged and strangely beautiful mountainscapes.
In the works seen here we find references to Petrus van der Velden’s exotic sublimation of the New Zealand high country, the dark interiority of Tony Fomison’s landscapes and the expressionistic responsiveness of Barbara Tuck to the natural environment. But there is, too, a more nuanced wilderness in these hulking shapes and luminescent forms. Far beyond the frontiers of post-colonial New Zealand, the brooding darkness, glistening water and the small steady eye of the moon are informed by the subjectivity of personal encounter and the fallibility of human memory.
Through a deliberate yet intuitive process of pouring, layering, drying, brushing and glazing, Logan evokes the mutability of the mountain experience, the psychological pull of the landscape and the millennial-old processes that shaped these forms.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart