Be careful what you wish for….
27 September · Sally
When 81-year-old Cecilia Giménez offered to restore a 120-year-old fresco painting in the Sanctuary of Mercy Church near the small Spanish town of Zaragoza, the priest agreed the weathered work did need a bit of a spruce-up. After a bit of cleaning here, a major touch up there, the century-old portrait of Jesus, Ecce Homo (Behold the Man) by local artist Elias Garcia Martinez, was transformed into what has been described as a Neanderthal’s self-portrait, a re-run of Rowan Atkinson’s comic desecration of Whistler’s Mother or, charmingly, “Ewok Jesus”. It’s the art joke of the century – devotees have since launched a petition to halt the restoration of the “restoration” and Giménez is threatening to sue the church for her share of the proceeds from thousands of visitors. But it is also a salutary message.
Restoration and conversation work is not for amateurs – not for art curators, pictures framers or 81-year-old parishioners (unless they are fully qualified and belong to an accredited conservators’ group). Conservation is a defined process aimed at preventing or remedying damage and deterioration of cultural items.
New Zealand is lucky to have a number of highly trained, professional conservators (see www.conservators.org.nz). Professional conservators are trained in the analysis, treatment and preservation of works of art. Under strict conservation guidelines any processes undertaken are fully reversible and documented. At City Art we are happy to refer owners of damaged work on to conservators accredited by the NZCCM (New Zealand Conservators of Cultural Materials Pu Manaaki Kahurangi) or liaise with – and transport work to – the appropriate conservator on their behalf.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart