Best Made Plans
19 November · Katrina
Jandals, shorts, cheap cars, low-slung buildings. In Best Made Plans artist and lecturer in photography at the University of Canterbury School of Fine Arts Tim Veling uses documentary photography to explore ideas of home, belonging, family and New Zealand’s social and cultural landscape – here a suburban clearing in provincial New Zealand in weekend or mid-summer knockabout downtime.
In this series of five works Veling captures the character of the people of another river city, Hamilton, a landscape defined by flat-land suburbia and “The Mighty Waikato”, here depicted as a subdued river on a mural on a garage door (its life force reduced to the sinuous line of a garden hose) and, in Sunday Morning Hangover, Commerce Park, Hamilton, 2013, a bleary morning-after swim aligning the beauty of the river with the suggested outrage of the night before. This is parched suburbia, car tracks on concrete driveways (we’re at the V8 Supercars start line), browning grass, a bride shielding her eyes from the summer glare in another prolonged moment of weekend waiting.
Best Made Plans was made during a three-week fellowship at the School of Media Arts at Wintec as part of Survey Hamilton, a multi-media project and archive that documents contemporary Hamilton culture through photographs, video and sound recordings. Despite the specific nature of the location, the compelling combination of colour and formal composition captures a kind of late-summer languidness that speaks of a wider New Zealand, a slow, hot, sun-struck aimlessness on the sweltering edges of urbanity.
Veling is currently engaged in long-term projects relating to the aftermath of Christchurch’s devastating 2010 and 2011 earthquakes, including the ongoing Place in Time: the Christchurch Documentary Project.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart