CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
28 November · Sally
Big, bold and specifically Pacific. Over the last few weeks SWING STATES, recent works by US artist Allen Cox, has brought a broad-brush global perspective to the walls of the City Art gallery. As the rowdy lead-up to the US election gives way to business more or less as usual in that country, Allen’s work draws on more subtle ideas of human activity and influence, alluding to notions of travel and exploration – Captain Cook’s tracking of the transit of Venus, the passage of boats, the art of navigation, the natural dispersal of flora across water: timeless patterns of inquiry that put the furor of national zeal and international conflict in a wider perspective.
Our final show of the year, CHAPTER AND VERSE, brings together an exciting collection of recent and mainly small works by Misma Andrews, Mark Braunias, Stephen Clarke, Brooke Georgia, Maree Horner, Katrina Lilly, Kathryn Madill, Lisa Patterson, Beverly Rhodes and Greg Yee. Opening on 30 November CHAPTER AND VERSE will run until 24 December.
As we march into December, with that mad confluence of school holidays, Christmas festivities, summer getaways and soaring temperatures, we wish to thank all our clients and visitors over the past year. We have enjoyed working with you to select new picture framing solutions for your art work, to discuss the works on the wall or to organise storage, transportation and – as we re-position ourselves in this post-earthquake environment – installation. We are always keen to hear new ideas and suggestions as to how we can better meet the needs of our clients so please keep in touch by phone, email or at the counter.
City Art will close at midday on 24 December – please note this time, especially if you have work to collect. We will re-open on Monday 7 January.
In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas and New Year. Further updates as to gallery news and framing advice will continue to be posted on our Facebook page and on our regular newsletter – please sign up if you have not done so.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart