08 August · Katrina
Continuous Positive follows the artist’s long-standing preoccupation with corporeal anxiety and embodied experience. In this series of works on paper, Shannon employs a combination of cartographic, anatomical and gestural drawing styles, moving from the figurative form to more annotative mark-making to document the impact of emotional disturbance on the integrity of the body.
“In the works for ‘Continuous Positive’ the figure is both revered and deconstructed and at times completely abandoned. Re-occurring motifs, diagrammatic languages and hyperbolic colours are used to create synesthetic translations of sensory experience into visual information. Some of the works shape these ‘synesthetic translations’ upon figurative scaffolds while others layer them between quantitative medical annotations to create incomplete maps for both trauma and solution in dysfunction”
– Shannon Williamson, 2016
Shannon graduated from the University of Canterbury School of Fine Arts in 2009. Currently based in Melbourne, she has exhibited in solo and group shows in Australia, New Zealand and the USA. She has been an artist in residence with the Finnish Bioart Society, Fremantle Arts Centre and the SymbioticA Centre for Excellence in Biological Arts in Perth.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart