Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
03 September · Katrina
She is not a natural dancer, this lone figure – not young, not a born performer. But alone in an uncluttered room, lost to memory or emotion, she moves her body to an unheard rhythm, sweeping and bending in a physical, intuitive response to personal thought and recalled experience.
In Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget Wellington artist Beverly Rhodes presents an intimate series of solitary dancers caught in the moment of spontaneous, sensual, if at times awkward embodiment of unspoken experience and emotion.
Hushed in their muted pallet and spare composition, these works are inspired by Pina Bausch, the late German dancer and choreographer who explored dance as a conduit for deep emotion irrespective of age, gender or dancing ability. They reference too the work of UK dancer/choreographer Miranda Tufnell and installation artist Chris Crickmay in their exploration of the link between art, dance and creativity, using the sensory, moving body as a basis for imaginative activity.
Born in Methven of Kai Tahu and Scottish descent, Rhodes worked as a clinical psychologist before retraining as an artist (she completed her masters in fine arts at Melbourne’s RMIT university in 2004). She has exhibited widely throughout New Zealand. Her work is held in private and public collections in New Zealand and Australia.
“It is about an ordinary body moving and dancing, The emphasis is on the link between thought, emotion, memory and the body. Words are not needed, just movement.” - Beverly Rhodes 2016
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart