Drawing with light
04 March · Sally
Forest of Jade is part of an ongoing series in which Christchurch artist Katrina Lilly explores the painterly possibilities of photography. In so doing she gives surreal visual form to the very origins of the word photography, derived as it is from the Greek words photos, meaning light, and graphé, meaning drawing or writing – together: “drawing with light”.
“I have been creating works using two of the basics principles of photography: aperture and shutter speed, to re-create the textures and techniques of painting,” she says. “I love that moment when all the different elements – light, movement, speed and the natural environment – come together to create a dynamic aesthetic.”
Each of the images presented in this exhibition is recorded within the camera. The colour, textures and composition are created from the natural environment: there is no post-process manipulation. The almost- fluorescent greens present in the Forest of Jade series, for example, are achieved through a photographic record of natural light bouncing off forest foliage, the swirls and fluid “brushstrokes” a vivid documentation of the trunks and branches. The resulting works capture the vibrant, volatile beauty of our domestic and rural landscape, imbuing natural forms and built structures with a rich and painterly vitality that is unstill and seemingly unstable.
Katrina Lilly graduated from the University of Canterbury’s School of Fine Arts in 2004. She returned to New Zealand in 2011 after 6 years travelling the world.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart