Gaiana - Earth NZAC
09 April · Katrina
In the European winter of 1945 troops from New Zealand’s 9th Brigade, comprising the former 27 (machine gun) Battalion and the 4 Parachute Division, were pushing up north of the Fienza line in north-east Italy. Under heavy attack and the “artificial moonlight” of searchlights they crossed the Senio, the Santerno and the Sillaro rivers. Finally, on 17 April 1945, they negotiated the Gaiana Canal. It was during this crossing that 23-year-old Ted Whitworth was wounded.
Seventy years later Ted’s son, Christchurch artist Marin Whitworth, evokes the imagery and symbolism of that crossing in Gaiana – Earth NZAC, a compelling series of paintings capturing the lonely march of troops across foreign lands and the insignia and branding that now define a generation of war-time men. In these works the human body is placed within a context defined by graphic elements (the typography of wartime paraphernalia, the documentation of location, the emblems of militancy) and a landscape reduced to flat zones of colour. Within these formal elements the human figures – the marching soldier, the fallen opponent – appear fragile, ghostly traces within the visual articulation of war and history.
Martin Whitworth is a draughtsman, colourist, skilled craftsman and accomplished artist. Since graduating from the University of Canterbury’s School of Fine Arts in 1983 he has worked in paint, pencil and collage to construct intimate, often veiled visual narratives of human experience and relationships. His work is held in public and private collections in New Zealand, Australia, USA, and the UK.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart