Gully and Grove
20 April · Katrina
In Gully and Grove Banks Peninsula artist Dean Venrooy turns his gaze to the shrouded hills and valleys of his home environment. These finely executed studies of flora and fauna are both naturalistic and highly theatrical – small landscapes seemingly abandoned by human presence now left to the encroachment of local bird life.
Working on ocean-worn glass, gesso panel, found stones and other objects, Venrooy uses the scale of Victorian memento or miniature keepsakes to present these chemeric worlds of exquisite detail, gentle palette and portentous composition, be it in the singular gaze of a morepork or the studied tableaux of a trio of keruru. The result is an evocative series of small portals into an imagined world, something to peer into, puzzle over and admire.
“Venrooy revels in creating elegant rhythms, symmetries and visual melodies” – Wellington art critic Mark Amery.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart