Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
02 November · Admin
Veiled mythologies mingle between the works in Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus. Each piece plays out as if a scene in some otherworldly production: characters are shared, locations developed and elements repeated. But while each body of work is linked as a series, the individual pieces hold their own gravity and meaning, displaying a maturity and skill developed over an ongoing exploration of material, technique and thematic concerns.
Carefully layered minute details draw the viewer in close to these worlds. Madill utilises expressive monoprints to evoke movement and theatricality; Venrooy’s delicate hand gives life to natural elements. These are bodies of work that swallow you for a moment.
Venrooy composes an imagined valley from the natural environment surrounding his studio in Governors Bay. There is a balance between the real and envisioned, filtered through the artist’s icons – a kind of fragile transitional space for one to linger in.
The borders of Madill’s work – the book and what could be a stage – emphasise the capture of moments. Dream-like, they mix a gorgeous dread with a quivering and alive darkness. What results are pieces that sink into the page – taking the viewer in with them.
Although mysterious, there is a social life to these works. Venrooy’s birds are never alone in their scenes, often interacting and looking inwards. Madill’s characters observe, judge and loom around the other inhabitants. A chorus watches over a sleeping woman and figures follow one another among darkened landscapes. These internal interactions create a depth to the worlds that the viewer can dip into, peering beneath their surfaces to draw an infinitum of conclusions.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart