01 July · Katrina
Only two scales, said British sculptor Henry Moore, innately intrigue: “the gargantuan and the intimate”.
Banks Peninsula artist Dean Venrooy has developed a unique arts practice favouring the latter: small, jewel-like landscapes painted within the confines of small, often found objects – in this exhibition recycled or recovered timber, worn glass, a magnifying glass. On such locally sourced material we find exquisitely painted diorama featuring the geological formations of Lyttelton harbour and the plants and birds that cling to, or nestle into, these forms.
While it is tempting to place these finely layered works within the early tradition of New Zealand landscape painting, there are closer parallels to the Enlightenment notion of a state of nature unspoiled by European civilisation. In Outcrop Venrooy translates this idealisation into a surreal depiction of a natural world at once structured and ordered while also wild, far-removed from human intervention.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart