Painted Red Paintings
01 July · Katrina
Born in 1963, Francis van Hout studied at the University of Canterbury’s School of Fine Arts. Since then he has exhibited nationally and internationally, with exhibitions at Dunedin’s Blue Oyster Art Space and the Physics Room in Christchurch as well as at City Art Depot. In 2012 he was involved in the Sendai-Christchurch Exchange Show in Sendai, Japan.
In this innovative and highly engaging exhibition of works on paper and canvas, van Hout builds on the abstract motifs of the Russian constructivism art movement to present a series of highly contemporary two- and three-dimensional images. Using a limited palette and adept shading and shadowing he insinuates new readings into his otherwise non-representational forms, alluding to political insignia, national (“NZ”) iconography and commercial branding through a careful and often intense layering of colour and form.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart