25 October · Katrina
Based in Lyttelton, Lisa Patterson studied landscape architecture before completing a Graduate Diploma in Design, majoring in sculpture and print, at the Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology. She has exhibited in a number of group and solo shows in Christchurch and beyond.
Her meticulously handcrafted objects incorporate elemental materials such as wood, bone, gold leaf and lead. Some are able to be opened like small wooden hinged ‘books’. They invest simple motifs with a sense of mystery and revelation, offering the viewer glimpses of hidden forms in an allusion to religious icons and hidden worlds. This sense of secrecy and wonder is supported by the small scale of many of Lisa’s works and the artisanal nature of the shaping and carving involved in their production. They reflect the respect she holds for the materials and the rituals and processes of making the objects.
The works shown in Inside Out allude to the ancient tradition of religious relics – parts of the human body collected, worshipped and often copied to meet the demands of the tourist trade. Here, the “relic” is an excised section of a branch, carefully treated and painted or reiterated in a blatant fake. In these and her small, hinged icon-like objects the artist explores the notion of ‘inside out’ and the seductive promise of revelation suggested by the painted cores and secret interiors.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart