Romancing the Ground
27 October · Katrina
In Romancing the Ground Christchurch artist Julia Croucher uses an intuitive, gestural layering of colour and abstract forms on a barely-concealed paper surface to evoke the emotions associated with the romantic tradition of landscape painting.
Using a combination of ink, watercolour, acrylic and varnish, she presents an unstable almost ethereal experience of the painterly response to the world outside the studio window. Colour bleeds into encroaching strata, pigment coalesces into the molded forms of the land, light slides across the surface in an evocation of the spaciousness of sea and sky within the intimacy of the artist’s chosen scale. The resulting works, named after Mills & Boon titles, reveal a small, calm almost tender response to the grand narratives of impressionism’s light-filled landscapes.
Julia Croucher is a Christchurch-based artist and post-graduate of the University of Canterbury’s School of Fine Arts where she studied painting. Her practice includes drawing, painting, tattooing and performance-based art.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart