Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
28 February · Katrina
Dunedin artist Kathryn Madill is one of New Zealand’s leading painters and printmakers. Her paintings, drawings and prints focus on lonely fragments of literature, legend and fairytale.
The selected works featured are lithographs, mezzotints and a woodcut dating from 1987 – 2011. Madill’s works are placed in loose chronological order—you can see how her technique and process grows but her subject matter of these works remains on the same track throughout.
Different from previous Madill shows at City Art, Selected Works celebrates a specific theme in her work rather then a medium or time period. Her prints focus on fairytale and storytelling. Some authors seek to recreate a sense of the fantastic in a contemporary discourse, some writers use fairy tale forms for modern issues, some artists use fantasy to illustrate personal experience. Here I think Madill plays all three roles through this body of work. She draws the viewer into her imaginative, sometimes haunting storytelling through its intimacy and fine detail, but the works also retain an uplifting quality of belief.
Selected Works by Kathryn Madill is on now at City Art Gallery and runs until 23rd March 2013.
Written by Jane Maloney
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart