Selected Works by Maree Horner
16 June · David
Selected Works by Maree Horner brings together works from Maree’s Critical Penetralia and Furniture of the World series. While using very different media these images work from a common platform comprising familiar symbols of domesticity with their associations of nurture and femininity, be it the sofa, the bath or the old leather suitcase. Within or against these receptacles are symbols of animal physicality and the human body. The result is a theatrical staging of elements, disturbing and intriguing in their disruption of realist rules of volume and scale and the sense of invasion implicit in the imagery.
In her Furniture of the World series Maree turns to large format digital photography to present her domestic containers within a lush, vivid, highly decorative domestic interior. Within these containers (an old leather suitcase, a hat box) is the Shakespearean “pound of flesh” – cut away bellies neatly shaped to fit their apportioned space. In these surreal still llfes Maree poses further questions of nurture (in terms of the life-giving role of the umbilical cord), here calmly yet appallingly packed away in the quotidian forms of archived memory and personal travel. As art writer and curator Bruce Phillips wrote, “These works sit on a tenuous line being both comfortably homely or horrifically debauched - a betwixt and elusive conclusion that reveals more about the animal within us and how little we understand our suppressed psyche”.
Selected Works by Maree Horner is on until 30 June.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart