The Naked Truth
09 March · Katrina
New Sculptures and Drawings reveals Christchurch artist Samuel Harrison’s ongoing exploration of the human body. In sculpture, prints and drawings he investigates the physicality of the naked form, challenging norms of classical portraiture, deliberately transgressing Renaissance ideals of beauty and the art historical exaltation of the nude with a relentless, often confrontational allegiance to shape, form and texture.
In each of the six works shown here – three drawings, one woodblock print, one plaster sculpture and one wax maquette – Harrison pushes the possibilities of his chosen medium, drawing out the unique qualities of paper, wood, plaster and wax to arrive at a distinctive new approach to the human form. Across these different media New Sculptures and Drawings cohere into a succinct and provocative exhibition reflecting the singular vision of this studio artist.
Born in Christchurch, Samuel Harrison graduated with a Bachelor of Art & Design from the Canterbury Polytechnic Institute of Technology’s School of Art & Design in 2006 and held his first solo exhibition in 2008. Since then he has won numerous awards and exhibited widely in New Zealand and Australia.
New Sculptures and Drawings runs until 20 March 2014.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart