Waiting for the Blue Train
01 August · Katrina
Kathryn Madill is one of New Zealand’s leading painters and printmakers. Her paintings, drawings and prints evoke haunting, lyrical fragments of literature, legend, and history. In much of her early work Madill uses the medium of the mezzotint and lithograph, often adapting an intimate miniaturist aesthetic to present her illusory worlds. In her more recent oils on canvas and gesso panel Madill portrays landscapes both identifiable (the coastal regions of Otago, the ice fields of Antarctica, the surreal greenness of rural Ireland) and mythic. In the new works shown here Madill returns to the medium of the monoprint to present a series of anthropomorphic figures rooted in the narratalogical tradition of metamorphosis, as depicted in Biblical stories, Greek myths and modern literature. These she positions in a peripheral urban landscape, an ethical, figurative and geographic border zone both enigmatic and disarming.
Born in Ruatahuna in 1951, Kathryn Madill graduated form Canterbury University School of Art in 1971 with a major in printmaking, Madill has since lived in Nelson, Waikouaiti and Auckland. She currently lives and works in Dunedin.
Waiting for the Blue Train is open from 25th July - 15th August at City Art Depot.
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart