Wild Spaniards & Friends
08 November · Katrina
In this series of finely executed drawings and paintings, Christchurch artist Jan Chaffey draws on history, science and landscape to convey the remarkable nature of the native plants in our “inherited environment”, including Wild Spaniard or Aciphylla spps that plagued early stockmen.
In an eloquent revision of the tradition of botanical art, the works in Wild Spaniards & Friends are imbued with a delicate vitality, redolent of the wind-tossed, light-slashed landscape in which these species grow
Since graduating from Canterbury School of Fine Arts, Jan has combined her art practice with set design, working with the New Zealand Players Theatre Trust, and botany and landscape design, working at the Botany Division DSIR Lincoln and later tutoring in the School of Landscape Architecture at Lincoln University.
Throughout and since her academic career, she has continued to draw inspiration for her art from her immediate environment at the entrance to Banks Peninsula.
“‘Taking our plants out of the literature’ means making my passion for botany accessible to others while providing a different perspective. These drawings on Japanese paper show something of the vulnerability and fragility of nature” – Jan Chaffey, 2016
Join us in the gallery/workshop as we provide practical solutions for the framing, display, installation of works of art, and information on new exhibitions and events.
- Swan Song
- Nonesuch Gully & The Chorus text
- Transitional Landscapes – Mitchell Bright
- Preaching to the Disconcerted
- Place of Return
- A lingering dark
- de void
- Under the Skin
- Ten and a Half - Christmas exhibition 2016
- Wild Spaniards & Friends
- Blue & Co.
- Dancing to Remember, Dancing to Forget
- A conversation with Shannon Williamson, July 2016
- Continuous Positive
- Null & Void
- Gully and Grove
- All that is Solid Collapses into Air
- Infinite View of Determinate You
- Romancing the Ground
- Shanley 2015
- Painted Red Paintings
- Gaiana - Earth NZAC
- The Naked Truth
- XXV – a group show to celebrate our 25 years in business.
- Waiting for the Blue Train
- Drawing with light
- The power of III
- Best Made Plans
- The Painted John Gibbs
- Between the mundane and the metaphysical
- The 10,000-hour rule.
- Christchurch Central Confidential
- He just wanted my washing machine
- Quick Flip – a game of many halves
- Not all card is created equal
- Talismen of Lyttelton artist Dean Venrooy
- The lost art of albumen photography
- Selected Works by Kathryn Madill
- Call for Proposals 2013
- CHAPTER AND VERSE: CHRISTMAS GROUP SHOW
- Be careful what you wish for….
- Ground Speed
- THE SHAPES I WEAR FOR YOU
- Selected Works by Maree Horner
- Hanging matters
- A Boy’s Story by Beverly Rhodes
- Welcome to www.cityart